The SSHO is required to lead daily safety meetings; to conduct pre-employment, post-accident and random drug screens; to conduct new employee orientations and site orientations; to develop and maintain the project’s Accident Prevention Plan; to develop, submit, and implement Activity Hazard Analyses for specific phases of work; to conduct inspections, identify safety problems and implement corrective measures; to conduct safety training as needed and when needed; to monitor site conditions and respond appropriately to injuries, emergencies, or hazardous weather conditions; to conduct injury and accident investigations, determine contributing factors, and apply preventive measures; to maintain a positive working relationship with employees and client personnel; functioning as an integrated member of the project management team to plan, schedule and prepare for work in such a way as to anticipate and mitigate hazards in advance.
Applicant must be authorized to work in USA with a valid driver’s license and ability to pass a background check; and must meet USACE EM385-1-1 criteria for a Level 5 SSHO, to include a minimum of 10 years of experience as a full-time safety professional in the construction industry, the OSHA 30-hour certification, with 24 hours of professional development (safety training) in the last 3 years. Candidates with current OSHA 500 certification, and a background in heavy civil, heavy highway or large utility construction are preferred.
SSHO on heavy civil projects must be capable of wearing full construction PPE to include fall arrest harnesses or respirators, climbing stairs and ladders, working from scaffolds or man lifts, entering confined spaces, walking up and down steep slopes, and carrying loads up to 50 pounds. Work may involve long hours, evenings, and weekends in all weather conditions.
Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions.
Computer Equipment and Software:
- Full knowledge of Windows Office Systems; particularly in Excel, Word and Outlook, etc.
- Full knowledge of Prolog, ProCore, & Primavera or similar software required.
- Full knowledge of blueprint reading required.
Workplace Civility Rules & Attributes:
- Represents the company with a positive attitude internally and externally.
- Participates fully as a team member, completing all requirements assigned in a timely manner.
- Treats all employees, clients, subcontractors and vendors with dignity and respect.
- Works cohesively with team members and all co-workers, displaying a positive attitude through behaviors and supportive problem solving and communication skills both orally and in writing.
- Acts in a professional manner at all times to maintain a positive work environment.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail; be able to multi-task, manage and assign responsibilities to other Team Members.
- Performs work tasks by receiving direction and then working independently with an interest in quickly learning and applying new skills and abilities.
- Demonstrates consistent ability to be dependable, consistent, diligent, and thorough.
- Exercises creativity and resourcefulness in completing tasks accurately in a compressed timeframe.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by supervisor
- Utilizes excellent written and oral communications and team skills.
- Sense of urgency with problem solving skills and the ability to confidently take action and resolve conflicts in an effective and fair manner.
- Maintains a professional client relationship in order to properly represent Gulf Building LLC as a quality General Contractor and provide for repeat business.